Monday, January 2, 2017

IS RESISTANCE FUTILE?


Resistance is futile. I’ve been struggling with this idea for some time. Perhaps the Borg was onto something. What I know from Unity teachings is ‘What we resists, persists.’ So perhaps resistance really is futile. But that doesn’t mean that we have to lie down and be assimilated or accept everything that happens. None of us should turn the other cheek when we see harm being done to another or to ourselves.

What it does mean is that, thanks to quantum physics, if we continually place our focus on what we don’t want, we will continue to get more of what we don’t want. While resistance is usually our initial response when confronted with something we perceive as negative, it is more powerful to embrace what we do want than to resist what we don’t want. That sounds simple, but is harder than it seems.

I keep seeing posts on Facebook to ‘join the resistance’, which I guess means to resist whatever our president-elect wants to put into place. I agree, there is much about him, his cabinet and his demeanor that I don’t like. He has continually demeaned women, handicapped, Muslims, Mexicans….I could go on and on.

I plan on attending the Women’s March in Austin…is that resisting? I don’t think so. I think it is standing up for what I believe and holding the vision of a world where everyone is accepted. Is calling my Congressman and Senators to voice my opinion resisting? Again, I don’t think so. It is holding onto a vision of a world that honors everyone. Maybe instead of asking people to ‘join the resistance’ we should be asking them to ‘join the vision of a world that works for everyone, not just the elite few.’


The next four years are going to be challenging, for sure. I know many of us will be called upon to act in ways that many will feel to be in resistance to our president. I think as long as we are holding to our vision of a world that embraces all people and stand up for that belief, we will be focusing on what we choose rather than what we reject. That’s my plan anyway. It won’t be easy and there will be times I forget and get into resistance and negativity….when I do, remind me of where I should be placing my focus: on love, on acceptance and on standing up for all humanity. I am holding a vision for a world that works for everyone. Will you join me?

No comments: