Saturday, November 29, 2008

Telling Your Story

The importance of having a story and a dream were significant themes running throughout the movie Australia. This is something the Aborigine people fully understand; perhaps because their culture, customs and identity were constantly being threatened or taken from them.

The movie Australia is, in part, about racism. The native Aboriginal people of Australia, and especially the half-breeds were looked upon with contempt, hunted down and cast out. Therefore, it was even more important to keep their stories and pass them down generation to generation. The Bible tells us, “Where there is no vision, the people perish.” (Proverbs 29:18).

This movie got me to thinking about my story. What is it? Do I even have one? Eckhart Tolle talks to us about letting go of the story. Many of us hold onto stories that don’t serve us. We hold onto stories of victimhood. Something unpleasant happens to us and we retell that story again and again and again. We let it define us. That is not the story the Aboriginal people told. Based on their history, they certainly could have harbored a victimhood story. Instead, they told stories of hope and promise. They sang their stories. I love that!

In the film there was an 11-year-old half-cast Aboriginal orphan named Nallah (Brandon Walters) who constantly had to hide from authorities. Whenever he got separated from Lady Ashley (Nicole Kidman) he would tell her, “I’ll sing you to me.” It reminded me of the movie August Rush, about another orphan who sang his parents to him. I love music and I love stories, so obviously I loved this movie! Anyway, it got me thinking once again about the power of story.

My current story is that I am unemployed looking for my right and perfect place. But that isn’t really my story. I am an adopted child, so I guess I could relate in a way with Nallah, but that isn’t really my story either. My story is that I am a wonderful, spiritual being evolving and constantly learning in this human existence, and, in turn, teaching others what I learn. That’s why I am a minister, and I guess that’s why I’ve chosen to blog…to share the story. So, what is your story? You can click on comments and tell me yours….

No comments: